Get all information about Celcom eSIM and SIM cards for tourists to Malaysia so you can pick the best packages for your trip.
Staying connected while traveling is essential these days, and having a reliable mobile network provider is important. Celcom, one of the top 4 leading mobile network providers in Malaysia, offers various plans to cater to the needs and budgets of travelers.
It does not matter if you are a tourist or a frequent traveler, this guide will provide you with all necessary information about using Celcom SIM and eSIM as a tourist to Malaysia.
Here you will find the answer to the following questions:
- Is Celcom the best network operator in Malaysia (especially for tourists)?
- How is Celcom’s coverage in Malay?
- Cost of travel prepaid plans that Celcom offering tourists
- Which are popular prepaid plans for tourists to Malaysia to choose from?
- How to top up data when using Celcom’s plans?
- What to take note when using Celcom’s services?
Before you learn more about Celcom, you should get an overview of your options when it comes to Malaysia cellular operators for tourists. It is best to read our Best Mobile Operators in Malaysia in advance, then you will know that Malaysia has 4 big full operators, which are: Maxis/Hotlink, Celcom, Digi, and U Mobile.
Also, there are 3G-4G/LTE-only operators, which are Unifi, Yes and Altel. Unlike Altel and Unifi, Yes does not cooperate with major operators within Malaysia, so it is merely a 4G/LTE-only mobile operator.
There are a number of mobile virtual operators (MVNOs), like XOX Mobile, SpeakOut, Tune Talk and Redone. They use the infrastructure of major operators to facilitate their services.
Table of Contents
Facts about Celcom Malaysia:
- Celcom is one of 4 biggest mobile network providers in Malaysia.
- Celcom has won several awards in the Malaysian mobile network experience, including Games Experience, Voice App Experience, Download Speed Experience, Upload Speed Experience, and 4G Coverage Experience.
- Celcom launched commercial 5G services in November 2022 in Malaysia.
- Celcom shares the 5G Upload Speed award with Digi and U Mobile.
- Celcom merged with Digi in December 2022.
I. What is Celcom?
Celcom is one of the 4 major networks in Malaysia, along with Maxis/Hotlink, Digi, and U Mobile.
This operator offers voice, data, and messaging services to customers. As a subsidiary of Axiata Group Berhad – one of the largest telecommunications companies in Asia, Celcom has a wide coverage area throughout Malaysia, especially in famous tourist sites like Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, and Johor Bahru.
According to reports, Celcom’s 4G network coverage achieves 99% or higher in 7 states in Malaysia. They also have good coverage of 4G LTE in Pahang, Sabah, Kelantan, Terengganu, Sarawak, and Negeri Sembilan.
To sum up, Celcom is renowned for affordable prepaid and postpaid plans, with data roaming options, wide network coverage, and easy-to-find stores throughout the country.
Good to know:
- In 2022, Celcom was recognised as Malaysia’s best mobile network in terms of coverage by Ookla Speedtest.
- Celcom led with a winning score of 93.2% for 4G coverage and 99.7% for general coverage nationwide.
II. Celcom Mobile Operator Services
At the current time, common services of Celcom Malaysia include: Voice services, data services, messaging services, prepaid plans, postpaid plans, roaming services, eSIM services, device bundles, and value-added services.
However, because this guide is for travelers/tourists, we just focus on Prepaid plans for travelers.
Celcom has 02 typical packages for tourists, which are:
1. Celcom Xpax (for usual travelers)
Features of Celcom Xpax Tourist SIM plan: RM30 = Unlimited data for using WhatsApp and WeChat + 10GB high speed internet + Free Internet roaming in Singapore (1GB) and Thailand (1GB), used in 10 days.
The Celcom Xpax ensures that you can keep in touch with family and friends at home at any time, and share what you experience as you like.
Where to buy Celcom Xpax Tourist SIM: You can buy at Celcom Bluecube at Kuala Lumpur International Airport or Penang International Airport.
2. Celcom Umrah Pack (for travelers on a pilgrimage trip)
Features of 14-day 3-in-1 Celcom Umrah Pack: RM68 = 3GB high speed internet + 30 mins calls + 30 SMS, used for 14 days.
What special about this package of Celcom: You just need to insert the SIM card, and self-register it and you are all set to go.
III. Celcom Coverage in Malaysia
Celcom has a wide coverage area through Malaysia, including popular tourist destinations, rural areas and smaller towns.
The coverage of Celcom in Malaysia is known for being reliable and consistent, with minimal dropouts and disruption.
Below we can see a report on mobile experience awards by Opensignal.
Looking at the image, we can see that Celcom has become the Winner in terms of 4G coverage experience in Malaysia in September, 2022, followed by Digi, Maxis, U Mobile and Unifi.
IV. Top Celcom eSIM for Tourists
Celcom provides eSIM services for tourists to Malaysia. eSIM is the virtual/digital SIM card that can be downloaded, installed and activated 100% online on the eSIM-compatible devices. No need to swap out the SIM card. This is a convenient option for travelers who want to stay in touch with their loved ones and friends on the primary line during their trip.
Here are 4 options for tourist eSIMs by Celcom:
- Celcom eSIM Tourist Pack: This pack includes a 7-day unlimited data plan with a high-speed internet quota of 10GB. It also includes unlimited voice calls and SMS to any network in Malaysia.
- Celcom eSIM 30-Day Tourist Pack: This pack includes a 30-day unlimited data plan with a high-speed internet quota of 20GB. It also includes unlimited voice calls and SMS to any network in Malaysia.
- Celcom Xpax eSIM: This is a prepaid eSIM plan giving users the ability to customize their plan based on their needs. They can choose to add data, voice and SMS as needed, with a number of add-on packages available.
- Celcom postpaid eSIM: This is a postpaid eSIM plan offering unlimited data, voice and SMS within Malaysia. Also, it has data roaming options for some certain countries.
To activate a Celcom eSIM, customers need to check if their device is compatible with eSIM technology before buying an eSIM from any Celcom store or authorized dealer. They can then scan the QR code to download and activate the eSIM on their device.
V. Top Celcom SIM Cards for Tourists
Travelers can buy a Celcom SIM card at any Celcom store, travel agent, authorized dealer, or online. Prepaid SIM cards are available for purchase without any contract or registration.
- You can choose from the following data packages:
- 12 RM ($2.8) for unlimited data (3Mbps) and calls for 7 days
- 15 RM ($3.6) for unlimited data (6Mbps) and calls for 7 days
- 35 RM ($8.3) for unlimited data (3Mbps) and calls for 30 days
- 45 RM ($10.7) for unlimited data (6Mbps), calls, and 5 GB of uncapped data for 30 days.
VI. How Much Does Celcom SIM Cards Cost?
Celcom SIM cards are affordable, with various plans to cater to different budgets.
The cost of Celcom SIM cards depends on the type of plan and SIM card chosen by the client.
Generally, the cost of Celcom SIM cards is:
- Prepaid SIM Cards: no need to sign any contract or do registration. The cost of a prepaid SIM Card varies from RM8 to RM10.
- Postpaid SIM cards: require customers to register personal info for a plan or undergo a credit check. The cost ranges from RM30 to RM80.
- eSIM: The cost of an eSIM varies from RM10 to RM50, depending on the plan chosen.
VII. Calls and SMS Rate of Celcom in Malaysia
The rates of Celcom for calls and SMS within Malaysia are competitive. For international calls and SMSs, there will be additional charges.
Here are the general rates for calls and SMS with Celcom:
- Calls: Standard call rate is 20 sen/min for calls within Malaysia. However, Celcom also provides various plans with unlimited voice calls within Malaysia.
- SMS: Standard SMS rate for Celcom is 15 sen/SMS for messages sent within Malaysia. However, Celcom also provides various plans with unlimited SMS within Malaysia.
- International calls and SMS: Celcom offers international call and SMS services at competitive rates, with rates varying depending on the country and region being called or messaged.
Here is the table of Calls and SMS Rate of Celcom in Malaysia:
|Calls within Malaysia||20 sen/min|
|SMS within Malaysia||15 sen/SMS|
|International calls||Rates vary depending on the country/region being called|
|International SMS||Rates vary depending on the country/region being messaged|
Pro Tip: Customers should check the specific rates and charges for their plan before making calls or sending SMS.
VIII. Celcom Roaming Rates
Celcom offers various data roaming packages for travelers. Here are the general rates for Celcom roaming:
- Roaming packages: Celcom offers various roaming packages for data, voice, and SMS services in selected countries and regions. The packages vary in price and duration, with options for daily, weekly, and monthly packages.
- Data roaming: The standard data roaming rate for Celcom is RM38 per 100MB of data usage. However, customers can purchase data roaming packages that offer more data at a lower rate.
- Voice and SMS roaming: The standard voice and SMS roaming rates for Celcom vary depending on the country and region being visited. However, customers can purchase voice and SMS roaming packages to enjoy better rates.
Pro Tip: It is important to note that rates and packages may vary depending on the country and region being visited. Customers should check the specific rates and packages for their destination before traveling.
IX. How to Top up Your Celcom SIM
Travelers can top up their Celcom SIM through various methods, including online, at any Celcom store, or through an authorized dealer.
Depending on your preference and convenience, here are some of the ways to top up your Celcom SIM that you can choose from:
- Online top-up: Users can top up their SIM Card online through Celcom website or using the MyCelcom app. The top up can be executed by using a debit card, credit card or online banking.
- Celcom top-up card: Users can buy a Celcom top-up card from official Celcom stores or authorized dealers. Then, they use the code on the card to top up, dial 122<top-up code># and pressing the Send button.
- ATM and bank transfer: Users can top up Celcom SIM by using online banking or ATM service. Alternatively, they can transfer the desired amount to Celcom account, with the mobile number as the reference.
- Auto-reload: Users can set up auto-reload for SIM Card from Celcom, this will allow their balance to be automatically topped up when it falls below a limited amount.
X. How to Check Celcom Balance – All Celcom USSD Codes that You Need to Know
Checking your Celcom balance is easy and can be done using USSD codes. Here are the Celcom USSD codes that you need to know to check your balance and other services:
- Check balance: Dial *124# to check your balance and data usage.
- Top-up balance: Dial *122# to top up your balance using a top-up card or credit card.
- Check data usage: Dial *118# to check your data usage and remaining data balance.
- Check postpaid bill: Dial *118# and select “My Account” to check your postpaid bill and payment due date.
- Roaming services: Dial *119# to activate or check your roaming services and charges.
- Check internet packages: Dial *118# and select “Internet Plans” to check and purchase internet packages.
- Check rewards: Dial *118# and select “My Account” to check your rewards points and redeem rewards.
- Check e-billing: Dial *118# and select “My Account” to check your e-billing status and payment history.
XI. Where to Buy Celcom eSIM and SIM Card?
Travelers can purchase Celcom eSIM and SIM cards at any Celcom store, authorized dealer, or online.
Here is the details:
- Celcom stores: Customers can visit any Celcom store throughout Malaysia to purchase eSIMs and SIM cards.
- Authorized dealers: Celcom has authorized dealers throughout Malaysia that sell eSIMs and SIM cards.
- Online: Customers can purchase eSIMs and SIM cards from the Celcom website or other online marketplaces.
- Airport kiosks: Celcom has kiosks at selected airports in Malaysia that sell eSIMs and SIM cards for travelers.
- Convenience stores: Some convenience stores such as 7-Eleven and MyNews also sell Celcom SIM cards.
XII. Celcom Mobile Operator Pros and Cons
Celcom is a popular mobile network provider in Malaysia, offering various services to cater to different needs and budgets. Here are some of the pros and cons of Celcom, compared to other providers:
- Comprehensive coverage: Celcom has a wide coverage area throughout Malaysia, including rural areas and smaller towns.
- Flexible and affordable plans: Celcom offers various plans to cater to different needs and budgets, including prepaid and postpaid plans with data roaming options.
- Easy to find Celcom stores
- eSIM services: Celcom offers eSIM services, allowing customers to download and activate a digital SIM card on their compatible device.
- Value-added services: Celcom offers value-added services to customers, including music streaming, video streaming, and gaming services.
- Exchange rates for roaming may be higher than other providers.
- Average customer service: Some customers have reported issues with Celcom’s customer service, including long wait times and unresponsive agents.
- Limited international coverage: While Celcom offers roaming services, its international coverage is limited compared to other providers.
- Limited promotions: Celcom does not offer as many promotions as other providers, which may be a disadvantage for customers looking for deals and discounts.
Compared to other providers in Malaysia, Celcom is known for its large coverage within Malaysia and flexible plans. However, its international coverage and customer service may not be as strong as some other providers. You should compare the pros and cons of different providers to choose the ones that suit your needs and preferences most.
XIII. Celcom vs Other Malaysia Mobile Operators
Celcom is one of the leading mobile network providers in Malaysia, with competitive rates and wide coverage area. However, travelers may want to compare Celcom with other providers to find the best plan for their needs.
Here are a quick comparison between Celcom and other Malaysia mobile operators:
1. Network Coverage
Celcom is known for having a wider network coverage compared to other mobile network providers in Malaysia. According to Opensignal’s Mobile Network Experience report, Celcom has the highest 4G availability at 89.8%, followed by Maxis at 86.2% and Digi at 82.9%.
2. Network Speed
In terms of network speed, Maxis is considered to be the fastest mobile network provider in Malaysia. According to Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index, Maxis has the highest average download speed at 47.10 Mbps, followed by Celcom at 28.96 Mbps and Digi at 23.95 Mbps.
3. Plans and Packages
All three mobile network providers offer a range of plans and packages that cater to different needs and budgets. Celcom offers several postpaid plans with varying data quotas and add-ons such as unlimited calls and SMS. Maxis also offers a variety of postpaid plans, including a family plan that allows for sharing of data and calls among family members. Digi offers several postpaid and prepaid plans, including a plan with unlimited data and calls.
4. Customer Service
In terms of customer service, Maxis has consistently received higher ratings compared to Celcom and Digi. According to the Malaysian Customer Satisfaction Index (MCSI), Maxis has the highest customer satisfaction rating among mobile network providers in Malaysia.
5. Value for Money
Celcom is often considered to offer the best value for money among the three mobile network providers. Its postpaid plans are competitively priced and come with several add-ons such as unlimited calls and SMS. Digi also offers affordable plans with unlimited data and calls, while Maxis tends to be more expensive.
For more useful information about eSIM plans, please visit malaysiaesim.com.