You will find everything important about DiGi eSIM and SIM cards for travelers in this guide, from coverage, best data plans, to how to top up, track your balance, etc.
Traveling to Malaysia? Wondering how to stay connected during your trip? You may have heard about different ways to stay online while traveling abroad, be it using WiFi pocket, international roaming, or using travel SIM/eSIM cards. Among them, using SIM/eSIM seems to be the most convenient and familiar for most of us.
So, which Malaysia mobile network operator to choose from between Celcom, DiGi, Maxis, and U Mobile? Stay tuned! On Malaysiaesim.com we have a series of articles about each mobile network operator in Malaysia for TRAVELERS.
In this article, you will find everything you need to know about DiGi eSIM and SIM cards for travelers. Let’s start!
Before you get to know more about DiGi, you should have an overview about your mobile operator options in Malaysia. If you read our Best Mobile Operators in Malaysia, you know that Malaysia has 4 major operators: Maxis/Hotlink, DiGi, Celcom, and U Mobile.
There are also 3-4G/LTE-only operators, namely Unifi, Altel, and Yes. Unlike Unifi and Altel, Yes does not have roaming agreements within Malaysia with major operators, so it is purely a 4G/LTE-only mobile operator.
There are many mobile virtual operators (MVNOs), such as XOX Mobile, Tune Talk, SpeakOut and Redone. They use the telecom infrastructure of 4 major operators to facilitate their services.
Table of Contents
I. What is Digi?
DiGi is a leading and trusted digital connectivity and services provider in Malaysia that offers a wide range of services, including voice calls, SMS and mobile data. It is known for affordable rates and extensive coverage across Malaysia.
According to recent reports, DiGi has a market share of about 27% in Malaysia’s mobile telecom market.
The operator offers a wide range of plans and services, including prepaid and postpaid plans, international roaming, and broadband services to its customers.
DiGi uses a combination of 2G, 3G, and 4G LTE technologies to provide coverage, and is currently working to execute the 5G network.
Facts about Digi network operator in Malaysia:
- Digi is one of the 4 leading Malaysian telecommunication companies.
- Digi is the outright winner of the Download Speed Experience Award, as our users on its network reported the highest average download speeds in Malaysia of 20.5 Mbps.
- If you want to buy the best SIM card in Malaysia, we recommend choosing Digi or Celcom, in which, Digi has the fastest speeds and Celcom has the best 4G/LTE coverage.
- Digi got the award of Malaysia’s fastest and most consistent mobile network 2020-2021
- Digi has a good network coverage in most parts of Malaysia, but if you plan to visit more rural areas or remote islands, you may experience some connectivity issues.
II. Digi Coverage and Speed in Malaysia
1. DiGi Coverage Map
DiGi has extensive coverage across Malaysia, with a 3G network covering nearly the whole population and 4G LTE network covering approximately 93%. This means that you can stay connected no matter where you are in the country.
In addition, DiGi has started to roll out 5G network services in some major cities in Malaysia in 2022. However, it’s worth noting that coverage may vary depending on your location and other factors such as terrain and building structures. You can check DiGi’s network coverage maps on their website or contact their customer service for more information about coverage in your area.
The coverage is generally good throughout the country (even outside of Kuala Lumpur).
2. DiGi Speed
According to an experienced traveler to Malaysia, who carried out a speed test in 3 places: one in an unknown restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, one in Pavillion mall in Kuala Lumpur, and one in Kuala Lumpur International Airport, he noticed decent speeds.
The speed is not too fast in comparison to other operators in the world, but still fast for Malaysia’s standards.
Users can watch YouTube videos, browse the web, upload photos on Instagram or WhatsApp without lag with DiGi.
III. DiGi Mobile Operator Services
Some of the key services for tourists offered by DiGi include:
- Postpaid plans: DiGi offers postpaid plans for travelers with different packages, including unlimited data, calls and SMS. These plans require a longer commitment and can be obtained at stores or online.
- Prepaid plans: DiGi offers a number of prepaid services for tourists such as Prepaid NEXT (for everyone in Malaysia), Raja Kombo (for international citizens). You can see details on Prepaid NEXT plans in the section below.
- Roaming packages: DiGi also provides various roaming packages for tourists who need to use their phones while traveling in the country. Services can be data, voice, and SMS and are available for different durations from 1 day to 1 month.
- Internet services: Tourists can enjoy Internet services in Malaysia with high-speed mobile internet and WiFi hotspots. They can access internet services at airports, hotels, and cafes.
IV. Top Digi eSIM for Tourists
DiGi offers several eSIM options for tourists, including the DiGi Prepaid eSIM and the DiGi Postpaid eSIM. These eSIMs are easy to activate and offer affordable rates for both data and voice calls.
Here are some of the top eSIM plans for tourists of DiGi operators:
|Operator||Plan Name||Plan Details||Price|
|DiGi||Digi Prepaid Unlimited eSIM||Unlimited local data, unlimited calls to all networks, 30GB hotspot, 5GB roaming data||RM30 for 7 days|
|DiGi||Digi Prepaid Best eSIM||10GB local data, unlimited calls to all networks, 300 minutes IDD calls to 10 countries, 5GB roaming data||RM38 for 30 days|
|DiGi||Digi Prepaid Live eSIM||8GB local data, unlimited calls to all networks, 100 minutes IDD calls to 10 countries, 2GB roaming data||RM28 for 30 days|
|DiGi||Digi Postpaid 80 eSIM||30GB local data, unlimited calls to all networks, 100 minutes IDD calls to 10 countries, 5GB roaming data||RM80 for 30 days|
|DiGi||Digi Postpaid 120 eSIM||50GB local data, unlimited calls to all networks, 300 minutes IDD calls to 10 countries, 10GB roaming data||RM120 for 30 days|
Note: Prices and plan details are subject to change, and may vary depending on the country and region. It is advisable to check with the operator for the latest information and availability.
V. Top Digi SIM Cards for Tourists
DiGi also offers several SIM card options for tourists, including the DiGi Prepaid SIM and the DiGi Postpaid SIM.
Below we just list down 6 DiGi prepaid NEXT plans which are cared about by travelers most:
- NEXT15: RM 15 = 6GB data + Unlimited Social Media internet to access TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook + 1GB extra hotspot + Free 5G booster = 30 days validity
- NEXT 20: RM20: 15 GB data + Unlimited social media internet to access TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook + 1GB extra hotspot = 30 days validity
- Best seller – NEXT35: RM35 = 30 GB data + Unlimited calls + Unlimited social + 3GB extra hotspot = 30 days validity
- RDY: RM68 = 50 GB data + Unlimited gaming with OGL + Unlimited calls + 5% Game Credit Cashback = 30 days validity
- NEXT30: RM30 = 20GB + Unlimited social + 2GB extra hotspot = 30 days validity
- NEXT Unlimited 40: RM40 = Unlimited Internet + Unlimited Calls + 10GB Extra hotspot = 30 days validity.
These plans are only available at the time of writing this article. For the most updated details about Digi prepaid SIM card plans, check out the Digi website.
- To activate your Digi SIM card, simply dial *128# from your phone and follow the guide.
- Digi has a MyDigi app that allows you to manage your account, check your balance, and purchase additional data or packages.
VI. Where to Buy Digi eSIM and SIM Card?
1. How and Where to Buy a Digi SIM Card?
You can purchase a DiGi SIM card at any DiGi store, airports, street vendors, or online through the authorized dealers’ websites.
Some details about place to buy a DiGi SIM card in Malaysia, along with their pros and cons:
1.1 Buy DiGi SIM Cards at airports
At the airports, DiGi provides tourist SIM cards named 4G PLus Traveler SIM for foreigners. Only foreigners can buy this type of SIM.
There are 2 variants:
- 20 MYR = 2 GB, 7 GB (1GB/day) of using social media data for WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook + Unlimited WeChat + 5 MYR in credit + 10 local minutes + 10 IDD calls (international direct dialing) to India, China, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand for 7 days.
- 40 MYR = 10 GB, 15 GB (1GB/day) social media data for WhatsApp, WeChat, Facebook + Unlimited WeChat + 5 MYR in credit + 30 local minutes + 30 IDD calls (international direct dialing) to India, China, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand for 15 days.
Note: Unlike most travel SIM cards of the other mobile operators in the world, you can still keep using your SIM Card even after your plan expires if you buy an internet plan – Is that cool?
DiGi SIM cards are available for buying at most major airports in Malaysia, including:
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL) (in Terminal 2 – KLIA 2 – (the budget terminal with AirAsia, Cebu Pacific, Jetstar, Scoot, or JC Cambodia)
- Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI)
- Penang International Airport (PEN)
- Langkawi International Airport (LGK)
- Senai Airport
- Kuching Airport
1.2 Buy DiGi SIM Cards at DiGi retail stores
DiGi has thousands of retail stores and service centers across Malaysia, where customers can buy DiGi SIM cards and other mobile services.
When you get into the store, you will be told to choose a starter kit from a wall to select a phone number. You can choose it randomly. It is OK.
The SIM card for tourists is called Digi Prepaid Live and costs 8 MYR.
You will get 5 MYR in credit + 300 MB (valid for 5 days) + 10 GB for music and video streaming a month (2.5 GB/week) + 1000 mins and SMS to 6 Buddyz (user-selected DiGi numbers + 500 MB basic internet (Capped as 64kbps)
- Dial *888*1# to redeem your free 300 MB
- To set up Buddyz, dial *128*1*8#, and enter the selected Digi number(s)
1.3 Buy DiGi SIM Cards at Convenience stores
DiGi SIM cards are available at convenience stores like 7-Eleven, 99 Speedmart, KK Super mart, Family Mart.
1.4 Buy DiGi SIM Cards Online
The 3-party ecommerce platforms like Lazada, Shopee also provide DiGi Malaysia SIM / eSIM for tourists. You can also buy SIM online in other DiGi authorized dealers’ websites.
Let’s see a brief comparison table:
|Place to Buy||Pros||Cons|
|Digi retail stores||Wide range of products and services available||Limited locations, may have queues during peak hours|
|Convenience stores (e.g. 7-Eleven)||Wide availability and extended hours||Limited range of products and services available|
|Airports||Easy to buy, ready for usage right after landing at Malaysia||Expensive and limited packages to choose from|
|Online (e.g. Lazada, Shopee)||Convenience of shopping from home||Delivery times may vary by provider, may not be able to check SIM card compatibility|
|Mobile phone stores||Wide range of products and services available, often have knowledgeable staff||Prices may be higher compared to other places, limited locations|
- The availability of DiGi SIM cards may vary depending on your location and the specific DiGi plan you are interested in.
- When buying Malaysia SIM cards or DiGi SIM, you need to show your passport and register it with the provider. If buying at the store, the staff will help you do it and activate the DiGi SIM card for you.
2. How and Where to Buy a Digi eSIM?
Does DiGi offer eSIM services to prepaid customers?
Yes, eSIM is available for all Digi Prepaid, Digi Postpaid and Digi Broadband subscribers.
To buy a Digi eSIM for tourists, you can buy from:
- DiGi offline stores,
- DiGi websites,
- Mobile phone stores,
- Travel eSIM providers.
The problem is, if you buy eSIM from Digi directly, you have to deal with the SIM card registration scheme of Malaysia and it can be time-consuming.
That is why, as a tourist, you should buy eSIM from travel eSIM providers like Holafly, Airalo, Nomad, Malaysiaesim.com, Gigago, and Ubigi, etc.
They offer attractive eSIM plans for Malaysia without requiring you to deal with Malaysia’s SIM card registration requirements. And that is legally, of course.
Some even allow their eSIMs to be set up before arriving in Malaysia and activate them as soon as you land in the country.
It is very convenient, right?
There is a weakness if you buy eSIM from travel eSIM providers: your speeds may not be as fast as going with Digi Malaysia directly because you will be roaming on their network (and you are not a native customer). However, it does not matter much. The speed is still good overall.
VII. How Much Does Digi SIM Cards Cost?
The cost of Digi SIM cards varies depending on the plan you choose. Prepaid plans start at RM15, while postpaid plans start at RM40/month.
VIII. Calls and SMS Rate of Digi in Malaysia
Digi offers affordable rates for both voice calls and SMS. Voice calls start at just RM0.15 per minute, while SMS starts at just RM0.10 per message.
Here is the detailed table of Calls and SMS rates of Digi:
|Calls to all networks||30 sen/minute|
|SMS to all networks||15 sen/SMS|
|MMS to all networks||25 sen/MMS|
|IDD calls to Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand||50 sen/minute|
|IDD calls to other countries||From RM1/minute|
Note: Rates are subject to change, and may vary depending on the plan and package. It is advisable to check with the operator for the latest information and availability.
IX. Roaming with DiGi – Rates
DiGi offers international roaming services for those who need to stay connected while traveling abroad. The rates for international roaming vary depending on the country you are visiting.
International roaming is known for being expensive. However, some Digi Postpaid customers with certain Digi postpaid plans can roam in 100 countries for FREE.
Here we give you some roaming options that Digi has to offer both prepaid and postpaid customers.
|Service||Zone 1: Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Brunei, Philippines, and Myanmar||Zone 2: Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau||Zone 3: Rest of the world|
|SMS||50 sen/SMS||50 sen/SMS||RM1/SMS|
Note: Rates are subject to change, and may vary depending on the operator and country. It is advisable to check with the operator for the latest information and availability.
X. How to Top up Your Digi SIM
You can top up your Digi SIM card online, through the Digi app, or by purchasing a top-up voucher at any Digi store.
MyDigi app: Download the MyDigi app from the App Store or Google Play Store and log in to your account. From the home screen, select “Reload” and follow the prompts to top up your account using a credit card, debit card or online banking.
Online: Go to Digi’s website and select “Reload” from the top menu. Enter your phone number and follow the prompts to top up your account using a credit card, debit card or online banking.
Retail stores: Visit any Digi retail store, 7-Eleven, or other authorized dealers to purchase a top-up voucher. Scratch the voucher to reveal the PIN number, and dial 123<PIN># to reload your account.
ATMs: Use your ATM card to reload your account at any ATM that displays the MEPS or VISA logo. Select “Prepaid Reload” and follow the prompts to top up your account.
USSD code: Dial *123# from your Digi phone and select “Reload” from the menu. Follow the prompts to top up your account using a credit card, debit card or online banking.
Note: The top-up methods and availability may vary depending on your location and the Digi plan you are using. It is advisable to check with the operator for the latest information and availability.
XI. How to Check Digi Balance – All Digi USSD Codes
Here are the Digi USSD codes you can use to check your balance, data usage, and other services:
|Check data usage||*116#|
|Check prepaid credit||*122#|
|Check postpaid bill||*128#|
|Check current plan||1281*1#|
|Activate a plan||*116#|
|Deactivate a plan||2380#|
|Subscribe to a service||1281#|
|Unsubscribe from a service||1282#|
|Check own number||1261#|
|Check roaming rates||*136#|
|Check PUK code||1228#|
To use these USSD codes, simply dial the code on your Digi phone and press the call button. You will receive a text message with the information you requested. Note that some of these services may require additional fees or charges, and the availability of these codes may vary depending on your location and Digi plan. It is advisable to check with the operator for the latest information and availability.
XII. Digi Mobile Operator Pros and Cons
- Affordable plans: Digi offers a variety of prepaid and postpaid plans that are affordable and provide value for money.
- Good coverage: Digi has a widespread network in Malaysia, with good coverage even in rural areas.
- Fast internet speeds: Digi offers fast 4G LTE speeds, making it a good choice for data-heavy users.
- Flexible plans: Digi’s plans are flexible and can be customized to suit individual needs, with options to add on extra data or services as needed.
- Good customer service: Digi has a reputation for good customer service, with a helpful and knowledgeable staff.
- Limited international coverage: Digi’s international roaming options are limited, with higher rates compared to other operators.
- Limited plan options: While Digi offers affordable plans, some users may find the plan options limited compared to other operators.
- Limited phone selection: Digi may have a limited selection of phones available compared to other operators.
- Inconsistent network speeds: While Digi offers fast internet speeds, some users have reported inconsistent network speeds in certain areas.
- Limited storefront locations: Digi’s retail stores are limited in number compared to other operators, which may make it less convenient for some users.
XIII. Digi vs Other Malaysia Mobile Operators
Digi is known for its affordable rates and extensive coverage across Malaysia. However, other mobile operators in Malaysia may offer better rates or coverage in certain areas. It’s important to compare all your options before choosing a mobile operator.
Here’s a comparison table of Digi vs other mobile operators in Malaysia, based on several criteria:
|Network Coverage||Good coverage, even in rural areas||Good coverage, with fastest 5G network||Good coverage, with widest network coverage||Good coverage, with fastest 5G speeds in selected areas|
|Plan Options||Affordable plans with flexible options||Wide range of postpaid and prepaid plans||Wide range of postpaid and prepaid plans||Affordable plans with unlimited data options|
|International Roaming||Limited international roaming options||Good selection of international roaming options||Good selection of international roaming options||Good selection of international roaming options|
|Network Speeds||Fast 4G LTE speeds, with some areas experiencing inconsistencies||Fast 4G and 5G speeds||Fast 4G and 5G speeds||Good 4G speeds, with some areas experiencing inconsistencies|
|Customer Service||Good customer service, with helpful and knowledgeable staff||Good customer service, with dedicated support channels||Good customer service, with dedicated support channels||Good customer service, with helpful and knowledgeable staff|
|Phone Selection||Limited selection of phones||Wide selection of phones, including flagship models||Wide selection of phones, including flagship models||Limited selection of phones|
- When choosing a mobile operator in Malaysia, do some research to check if they have good coverage in the areas you will be visiting. Although Digi has good overall coverage, other operators may have better coverage in certain areas.
- Also, think about your needs and preferences. For fast 4G or 5G speeds, Maxis or U Mobile may be a better option. If you need a wide selection of phones, Celcom or Maxis may be better.
- Consider the cost of each mobile operator’s plans and any additional fees for international roaming or other services.
XIV. Digi SIM Card Alternatives for Tourists
If you are looking for an alternative to Digi, other mobile operators in Malaysia include Maxis, Celcom, U Mobile and others. Each of these mobile operators offers a range of services and plans for tourists.
These are several Digi SIM card alternatives for tourists to Malaysia, depending on their needs and preferences:
- Maxis/Hotlink: See details about Maxis eSIM and SIM for tourists.
- Celcom Xpax: See details about Celcom eSIM and SIM for tourists
- U Mobile: U Mobile is a mobile operator in Malaysia that offers affordable prepaid and postpaid plans with unlimited data options. They have good 4G speeds and competitive international roaming options.
- Tune Talk: Tune Talk is a budget mobile operator in Malaysia that offers affordable prepaid plans with good data allowances. While their network coverage may not be as extensive as other operators, they are a good option for those on a tight budget.
- Yes 4G: Yes 4G is a mobile operator in Malaysia that offers fast 4G speeds and unlimited data options. While they may not have as wide of a network coverage as other operators, they are a good option for those looking for fast and unlimited data.
Note: It is advisable to check with each operator for the latest information on plans, coverage, and other criteria before purchasing a SIM card.